Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ubuntu Gets a New Look: What a Mess

Ubuntu got a new look today, and it's been covered widely, so I suspect you've seen it. If you haven't, take a look at the Ubuntu Wiki Branding page.

I like the new desktop theme. I like the new logo. The branding, however, is a mess. Take a look at the pictures below and count:

  1. The number of different color schemes
  2. The mix of old logos and new
  3. The mix of the old Ubuntu font and the new one.




From a branding standpoint, it's a mess. I hope that this problem is solved before April.

On the other hand, I think that Xubuntu has done a great job in creating a logo that's similar enough to be recognized as part of the brand but unique enough to differentiate the project form its mother ship.

I hope that the other projects follow the same style in their logos.

The dark theme is better than the light one. I hope it's the default. The light theme is a little to Mac-alike for Ubuntu to go with. Speaking of Mac, nearly every review has panned the left-side widow controls. It's definitely different for the sake of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other I' Been to Ubuntu Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails