Monday, December 24, 2007

Savage 2: A Tortured Soul

Want something new? Want something different? Yet don't want to learn a completely different style of game? We've got the answer!

Savage 2: A Tortured Soul is a fast paced strategy shooter that takes team based game play to another level. Each match is a war for dominance where two teams of 5 to 32 players attempt to destroy each other. It will take more than guns to finish the job. Assume your position as a fighter, armed with swords, guns, and magic; or take the field as a support character that builds, heals, and resurrects fallen comrades.

That's how Savage 2: A Tortured Soul describes itself.

Did you ever play Warcraft? No, not Wow. Think back before that to the real-time strategy game. Yeah that one. The on that oddly played like Starcraft, also from Blizzard. Well, imagine if every unit on the field of play were an individual player.

But that's Wow, I hear you say.

WoW is an MMORPG. Imagine a cross between Warcraft and Counter Strike. Now you've got the idea...

Savage2 is definitely different. Playing it feels like Wow, but without the long-term character development. It also has elements of a first-person shooter, but the games are significantly longer. Normal FPS games don't require you to develop units, stake out ground, etc.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It seems too long for the twitch players and too short for the RPG players. I don't know how well a random team will work with one player being the "general," overseeing and directing everything.

But it's definitely different, and that's a good thing in a market where every game seems the same with slightly different graphics or gameplay. New genres are hard to come by.

Linux beta clients ow available for testing.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds fun.
    After I quit WoW I was thoroughly burnt out on RPGs, and I've never had much patience with FPS. RTSs are fun, but after a while I found only the scripted maps interesting.

    So, this FPS/RPG/RTS thing sounds really interesting. Long enough, and with rpg elements to hold my attention, but short enough to avoid the feeling of futility when all you can do is wander around beating up creeps or get demolished in PvP.

    Linux client is probably the best news. I switched to linux out of frustration with windows, despairing that I'd have to run all the good games in WINE, or a sandbox install, or even dual booting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... still waiting on it. They said it should get done in 2-3 weeks, and I've pre-ordered a copy after a confirmation that it *will* be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Vadi, come back and let me know how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Other I' Been to Ubuntu Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails